Pages

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Know Yourself

"... the mistakes we make in life, the sins that we commit, are not born in a vacuum. They stem from deep roots, so if we are to confess and make a real change in our lives, it's not just verbal platitudes that are required, but genuine soul-searching. ... if we really want to elevate ourselves, if we really want to be transformed and  become better, more spiritual individuals, we have to go through this process honestly, without rationalizations, as painful as it may be. We must focus not only on the sin just committed,  but must ask ourselves, What led me astray? How is it that I have become so lost? Once we come to grips with that concept and discover the answer, it will become easier for us to uproot the negativity from our hearts and to embark upon a new course. That's what teshuvah (repentance) is all about. To be sure, this is not a simple path. Most of us are quick to see the faults in others but are slow to recognize them in ourselves. How often does it happen that when we read a book or hear a message, we say, "That's just for my sister, brother, friend, etc..." and it never occurs to us that the message was meant for us. So, know yourself."

     Search me, O El, and know my heart; Try me, and know my thoughts;
And see if an idolatrous way is in me, And lead me in the way everlasting.
                                                                                   - Tehillim/Psalm 139:23-24




source: Torah for Your Table, Rabbi Yisroel Jungreis

2 comments:

Chana said...

Wow that was powerful! And right on time. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Yah had you post this just for me!... (and even had a photo of me, so it was even more personal lol.) Thanks for posting this, mum. I want Yah to search my heart and rid me of my nasty sin-filled desires and change me into the woman he craeted me to be... a vessel of honor and praise!